We inspire a sense of community among Terps across generations while instilling lifelong loyalty to our alma mater.
We advance the University of Maryland through programs that:
• Develop an awareness of the alumni community;
• Connect students, alumni and donors;
• Enhance school spirit and tradition; and
• Instill a culture of giving back.
The Student Alumni Leadership Council (SALC) was founded in 2017 as the student arm of the University of Maryland Alumni Association charged with connecting students and the alumni community. Previous student-alumni organizations existed (e.g. Student Alumni Board, Carapace), but unfortunately due to leadership changes, resource allocation and other reasons, these organizations were not sustained. In order to ensure that SALC would be a longstanding organization, several measures were taken. First, external research was compiled from more than 50 colleges and universities with student-alumni programs, and internal research was conducted to explore gaps on campus with regard to student- alumni programming. Second, three focus groups were held for current students in order to survey what direction SALC should take and what events and programs the organization should create. Lastly, the inaugural SALC was a group of 20 hand-picked student leaders from across campus. This group helped shape the direction of the organization including its values, objectives, programs and events.
In its first full academic year as a student organization (2017-2018), SALC hosted 18 events and programs that reached nearly 2,300 current students. Also during this year SALC launched a quarterly newsletter to students, was invited to participate in Board of Trustees meetings, Board of Governors meetings, Advocacy Day, and other exclusive events, and worked diligently on reviving a history and traditions handbook for students.
To date, SALC has received district-level and national recognition including:
• 2018: Council for Advancement and Support of Education; Affiliated Student Advancement Programs Outstanding Emerging Organization
• 2018: Council for Advancement and Support of Education; Affiliated Outstanding Student Leader (Marion Irvin ’19)
• 2019: Council for Advancement and Support of Education; Circle of Excellence Grand Gold Award (M Book)
• 2019: Council for Advancement and Support of Education; Affiliated Student Advancement Programs: Outstanding Advisor (Lauren Norris)
• 2019: Council for Advancement and Support of Education; Outstanding Student Advancement Program (Terps Under 30)
• 2020: Council for Advancement and Support of Education; District 2; Outstanding Student Advancement Program (Homecoming Student & Alumnae Brunch)
• 2021: Council for Advancement and Support of Education Affiliated Student Advancement Program: Outstanding Organization
• 2021: Council for Advancement and Support of Education Affiliated Student Advancement Program: Outstanding Student Leader (Andrew String '21)
In the future, SALC aims to:
• Continue to establish SALC as an elite organization on campus that is hosting events, encouraging engagement and instilling a culture of giving back.
• Build a pipeline of loyal and connected alumni through initiatives and programs with current students.
• Prime SALC members to be the next generation of alumni leaders for the university.
SALC is committed to celebrating diversity and fostering inclusivity by striving to increase identity awareness, amplifying the voices of minoritized people and demonstrating values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.